Home West Baton Rouge Historic Parish Markers

Calumet Plantation

calumet01

Marker Name: Calumet Plantation

Marker Dedicated: May 30, 1971

Marker Sponsor: United States Daughters of 1812 – Chalmette Chapter

Marker Location: Front of West Baton Rouge Parish Fire Station,intersection of Highways 1145 & 76 Rosedale Road, Port Allen, LA

Marker Text: Home of Douglas C. Montan (1834-96), who named this plantation “Calumet” after Indian name for peace-pipe. Montan represented Iberville and West Baton Rouge Parishes in the La. State Senate. Montan wrote (1856) a popular book entitled “Redstick” which was about Baton Rouge life.

Background: Calumet Plantation was named for the traditional Indian peace pipe. The plantation began with the purchase of a tract of land on June 7, 1875, by Douglas 

Cullum Montan and his sister, Mrs. William P. (Mary Lelia) Harper. The house is next to Allendale Plantation. Montan (1834 – 1896) represented Iberville and West Baton Rouge parishes in the Louisiana Senate and wrote a fictional account of life in Baton Rouge entitled Redstick (Scenes in the South), which was published in 1856.

The present owners of the plantation are: Mrs. William Harper Forman; Mrs. Robert McCormick, Houston; Edward R. Badeaux, Jr., Brooklyn, NY; and William Harper Forman, Jr., New Orleans. 

New Orleans author, Harnett T. Kane, serving as the Historical Program Chairman of the Louisiana Tourist Commission, presented the marker during the dedication ceremony on Sunday, May 30, 1971. William Harper Forman, Jr., great grandnephew of Montan, unveiled the marker.

For more information:

• The State Times, May 31, 1971
• Morning Advocate, May 29, 1971
• Chronicles of West Baton Rouge by Elizabeth Kellough and Leona Mayeux, 1979, page 255
• Program dedication May 30, 1971
• Information compiled by William Harper Forman, Jr., great grandnephew of Montan
• State Historic marker files at the West Baton Rouge Museum
• Reference files at the West Baton Rouge Museum and Library

markerbutton

 
WarHorse-2014
bluestar2